Join Our Team
Director of Outreach & Engagement
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: $40,000 - $50,000 based upon knowledge, skill & experience
Schedule: Weekdays, 9am-5pm; Other days/times, as needed
Middle Border Forward (MBF) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to building social capital in the Dan River region by eliminating barriers (both physical & cultural) to civic participation and by equipping citizens to participate effectively in the development of their communities. Our work ranges from regional systems-level change to the direct, one-on-one coaching of emerging community leaders. MBF is committed to engaging citizens, developing leaders, and fostering collaborative networks in a manner that is human-centered, equitable & just. Our core values are equity, inclusion, collaboration, passion, creativity, fun, and accountability.
The Director of Outreach & Engagement (DOE) is a high-energy multi-tasker and dynamic leader able to build relationships with diverse groups of people. This position coordinates MBF’s communications & outreach efforts, manages the organization’s community engagement programming, and contributes to the execution of the resource development plan. Success in this role requires previous leadership in community engagement, marketing & communications, strong public speaking & writing skills, events management, and the ability to recruit, manage & cultivate volunteer leadership.
- Managing the development & execution of a comprehensive plan for community outreach & engagement, including social media, traditional media, advertisements & promotions, for the purposes of raising awareness about the organization and identifying opportunities for partnership with individuals & organizations aligned with our mission & vision
- Collaborating with staff & volunteers to design high-quality outreach tools, including advertisements, posters, flyers, and other promotional materials
- Maintaining the organization’s website, ensuring updates are made in a timely manner
- Representing MBF in community initiatives and at events that support our goals & strategies
- Coordinating & executing community outreach & other special events
- Maintaining a calendar of outreach activities, including community events
- Monitoring the impact of outreach strategies, making course corrections, as needed
- Managing the annual outreach budget
- Developing & implementing creative, effective, and inclusive community engagement & civic participation (CE/CP) programming, with support from the Director of Programs
- Managing existing CE/CP programming, ensuring benchmarks are met on schedule & within budget
- Monitoring the impact of CE/CP programming, making course corrections, as needed
- Managing the annual CE/CP programming budget
- Developing policies, objectives & performance measures for volunteers
- Networking & collaborating with local organizations & community leaders to increase the impact & sustainability of CE/CP programs
Resource Development (20%)
- Working closely with the team to identify & research potential funding sources
- Preparing background research & presentation materials for potential funders
- Engaging donors & sponsors throughout the year through events & regular communications
- Maintaining the organization’s donor management/CRM tool
- Contributing to the design & execution of fundraising campaigns
- Assisting in the development of grant applications and other funding proposals
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Contributing to the maintenance of MBF’s facilities & equipment
- Managing relationships with vendors & service providers
- Undertaking any secondary responsibilities deemed necessary for the success of MBF’s mission
- Enhancing professional expertise through membership in applicable professional organizations & participation in continuing education related to stated professional development goals
Knowledge, Skills & Traits:
- Bachelors degree in business administration, business management, or related field with at least two years of experience in community development, campaign organizing or similar activities; or an equivalent combination of education & experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of project/program management techniques & methods
- Ability to organize and prioritize time with minimal direct supervision
- Excellent communication skills, both oral & written
- Excellent organizational & leadership skills
- An analytical mindset with excellent problem-solving abilities
- Highly motivated, self-driven and independent, but also able to function as part of a team
- A positive attitude, creative mind, and passion for community development
- The Director of Outreach & Engagement is predominantly subject to inside environmental conditions, although outdoor activities may occur from time to time.
- May be subject to extended periods of computer usage.
- May be asked to use personal vehicle to conduct organization business. All such travel will be reimbursable according to the organization’s financial policies.
MBF offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental & vision insurances, flexible work schedules, a generous paid leave policy, and numerous opportunities for professional development.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume & three professional references in one attachment via email with Director of Outreach & Engagement in the subject line to: email@example.com. The position is open until filled.
MBF is an equal opportunity employer.
Click HERE for a printer-friendly copy of this job posting.